This is an exceptional opportunity to join Smurfit Kappa, a FTSE 100 business and one of the leading global providers of paper-based packaging solutions in the world, with around 46,000 employees, in approximately 350 production sites, across 35 countries, with revenue of €8.5bn in 2020.
Smurfit Kappa West Auckland is a well invested site, employing c195 people, operating 24/5 and supplying corrugated packaging into a blue-chip food, beverage, and E-commerce customer base. A talented Operations Director is now required to deliver strategic growth and YOY productivity improvement by establishing current state and creating a ‘future state’ roadmap to improve operational KPI’s, through improved process control and further development of continuous improvement activity. Through a direct team of 7 responsible for planning, production, engineering, H&S, continuous improvement and quality functions, key to success will be the ability to communicate this vision, leading from the front, to deliver a ‘critical mass’ of workforce engagement, focussed improvement activity and results. A strong capability to develop people, their leadership skills and behaviours will be essential, as will a personal commitment of time to coaching and mentoring responsibilities.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Site health and safety development and the progression of a ‘zero harm’ culture.
- Ensuring the site’s compliance to safety, environmental and hygiene at work requirements, coordinating with appropriate outside bodies where necessary.
- The planning and setting of the production budget, including headcount, labour costs, consumables, maintenance and capital investment for all plant, equipment and buildings.
- The effective planning and delivery of plant performance targets to meet current and future customer requirements in terms of, volume, quality, service, production costs and deadlines.
- Leading and developing functional managers to maximise performance and efficiency within corresponding departments.
- Ensuring effective performance assessments and personnel development systems are in place.
- The planning and co-ordination of the usage of OEM’s and external providers to support plant capability
- Directing measures to continuously improve customer satisfaction, product quality, production efficiency, waste and cost take out.
- Development and implementation of multi-skilling / cross-learning and productivity improvement activity. The selection, direction, and motivation of subordinates to promote effective teamwork.
- Contribute to the discussion and decision-making process for the growth and development of the business as a whole
- Deputising for the General Manager in his absence.
Applicants will be educated to Degree level and ideally hold a people management qualification and be able to demonstrate previous experience and success in managing the full operations function. While corrugated experience would be useful, candidates from other high volume, fast moving manufacturing environments e.g. FMCG, automotive, other areas of packaging will be considered. High energy individuals, with strong leadership, people management and communication abilities are a pre-requisite. There are excellent future prospects within this major Group.
All applications and contact from third parties must be made via our retained Consultants – McCourt Newton.
To apply, please send your CV, with a covering letter outlining why you are interested in this opportunity and including current salary details, to email@example.com quoting ref: 02/862
Due to high volumes of response, it is with regret that we are unable to acknowledge individual applications. If you have not been invited for interview within 14 days of your application, please assume that you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.