This is an exceptional opportunity to join Smurfit Kappa, a FTSE 100 business and one of the leading global providers of paper-based packaging solutions in the world, with around 46,000 employees, in approximately 350 production sites, across 35 countries, with revenue of €8.5bn in 2020.
Smurfit Kappa Paper has two innovative and highly successful mills in the UK producing 100% recycled paper and board, supplied into the packaging sector with end use applications in FMCG. The Mill in Birmingham employs 123 people, producing just over 200k tonnes of material and a sales turnover in excess of £100m p.a. Operating on a 24/7, 2 shift system, this highly automated, capital intensive site is Unionised.
This is an excellent opportunity for a proven senior Engineering Manager to make a major impact on the performance of the plant, taking full responsibility for all site maintenance and engineering improvement activities and controllable spend. An agent for change, with the adaptability to work both strategically and practically, you will support the growth and development of the business, through the provision of a proactive, high performing engineering function, with key responsibilities including:
- Providing a safe working environment for all employees and promoting site safety.
- Management, development and leadership of an engineering team of 18 people across Mechanical, Electrical and Engineering Planning, driving a culture of proactivity throughout the workforce.
- Management and development of a robust engineering strategy to ensure engineering best practice, incorporating planned preventative maintenance programmes which maximise machine availability, efficiency and OEE.
- Management and maintenance of all site services and facilities, and the execution and delivery of an engineering budget covering all aspects of operating performance targets.
- Management of capital projects with delivery on-time and in budget.
- Identification and management of engineering improvement activities through the introduction and utilisation of relevant modern engineering methodologies e.g. SMED, RCM, TPM.
- Development of a succession plan within the engineering team to ensure a strong, high performing department.
The successful candidate will be Degree qualified or equivalent in Electrical Engineering, with a proven strategic Engineering Management background, gained in a heavy manufacturing/continuous process environment e.g. paper, steel, oil, coal, glass etc.
He/she must be able to demonstrate engineering improvement through the use of structured best practice and continuous improvement tools, and the ability to enthuse, coach and motivate a team, whilst driving change to achieve results.
All applications and contact from third parties must be made via our retained Consultants – McCourt Newton Ltd. To apply, please send your CV and current salary details, to email@example.com quoting ref:03873.
Applicants must be eligible to work in the UK. Due to high volumes of response, it is with regret that we are unable to acknowledge individual applications. If you have not been invited for interview within 14 days of your application, please assume that you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.